POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Ringworld revisited (day and night) : Re: The Ringworld revisited (day and night) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:25:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Ringworld revisited (day and night)
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Jun 2010 10:38:34
Message: <4c20caea@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> "Darren New" <dne### [at] sanrrcom> schreef in bericht
>> Thomas de Groot wrote:
>>> I should look this up of course, but I seem to remember indeed that the
>>> Rim Wall was carved into mountain shapes. In the later books, spill
>>> mountains were added too for the necessary feeding of rivers.
>> Indeed. ALtho one must wonder why.
>
> For a simple, geological reason: All the dirt transported by the rivers and

I meant that one must wonder why the builders would carve the walls into
hollow mountain shapes. (I.e., your first sentence, rather than the second.)

> Spill mountains did not appear in the first book but were a later addition
> because Larry Niven realized the problem. In the same way, I think that the
> description of the Rim Walls evolves from the first book till the later
> ones.

Yes. Plus, I don't think they came anywhere near the walls in the first
book. :-) Well, not from the inside, at least.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Eiffel - The language that lets you specify exactly